Words That Kinda Matter
2017 was wild, wasn’t it?
Retrospectives and post mortems are everywhere this time of year. “Best of” and “worst of” lists, highlighted moments and words. Precious, precious words. Words that matter and words that don’t.
And, yeah, this is basically another post mortem, but one with attitude and grit. Ok, maybe not grit. What even is grit?
Anyway, 2017 was wild. So many things happened that merit discussion. There was Stranger Things 2, Idris Elba getting snubbed for some award, I discovered Boars Head curry chicken deli meat, and oh yeah, President Trump ruined the world as we know it.
I summed up 2016 with one word: dumpster fire.¹ Honestly the same can be said about 2017 but where is the fun in that? No, instead I will sum up 2017 more succinctly:
I could have chosen “resist” or “plutocracy” or even “nothing burger” but opted for “meh”. Don’t think that’s the word for 2017? Meh. What do I care what your opinion is?
See, it’s the perfect summation for 2017. Here’s a few more examples of how perfectly “meh” encapsulates the year (and just how screwed up 2017 was):
- Donald Trump rode Putin’s back into the White House with a suitcase full of white hoods, but meh, America is totally great again you guys!
- I published at least one thing a week this year, but meh, it’s not like anyone reads them.
- Puerto Rico still has no power, but meh, the Atlanta airport lost power for a few hours and people. are. pissed.
- Women everywhere were empowered to bring down scummy and creepy dudes, but meh, scummy and creepy are still everywhere.
- I thought about losing fifteen pounds this summer, but meh, cheesecake is too damn tasty!
- Nearly 600 people were gunned down at a concert in Las Vegas and no one has any idea why, but meh, guns are super cool and make great Christmas gifts!
- Taylor Swift put out a new album, but meh, it’s no 1989.
- North Korea has the ability to blow up any city in the US, but meh, Taco Bell has a taco with chicken for a shell!
- 2017 was pretty horrific, but meh, 2018 is right around the corner.
¹: Yes, “dumpster fire” is technically two words, but meh, you’re not going to do anything about it.